Now I don’t know about you. But over the festive period I got into organising in a big way. I seemed to spend a huge amount of time, re-organising and de-cluttering my flat. No area was untouched, cupboard drawers were re-organised, I de-cluttered the wardrobe as well as downsizing my makeup collection.
Now I am aware that you might be thinking that this collection is still bonkers in size. And it is. Normal people don’t need to own this amount of makeup. But given the amount of makeup I started with. And the amount that I get sent. I think I’ve done really well to get it down to just one drawer in my dressing table.
But I won’t lie. It was tough, I was a bit ruthless. And my family did benefit massively from the amount of products I threw out. But it was worth it. I also treated myself to some new desk organisers from Amazon that fit perfectly in the Malm dressing table. And means all my makeup is easy to see in one place.
So if you’re looking to downsize your own stash, here are my top five tips:
- I find having everything on show helps. I had so much stuff hidden at the back of the drawer that I never used. Purely because I couldn’t see it.
- I like separating my makeup into different categorizes. That way you can see what you have, and it also helps to stop me buying yet ANOTHER highlighter when I’m in Boots.
- Nothing should be saved for best. There’s no point having a beautiful blusher or eyeshadow palette sitting in your collection that’s never been touched.
- Try and operate a one in, one out policy. That way you’ll use up what you have before going out and buying another mascara to add to the nine you already have.
- And when you do clear out makeup, look into places you can donate products too. I tend to donate a lot of unwanted or unused PR samples to women’s refuge but there’s also homeless shelters or Beauty Banks you can give your products to.
Have you done much spring cleaning yet?