When I first started blogging back in 2012 I had no idea what I was doing. In fact, you could argue I still have no idea! Blogging has grown so much over the short time I’ve been part of this community and it’s still growing today. Back in 2012, I had no idea what I was letting myself in for or what I could create by signing up to Blogger. So if you’re toying with the idea of entering this vast world of beauty blogging then here is what they don’t tell you about beauty blogging:
- You won’t be able to use any makeup item until you’ve photographed it. The struggle is real when a new palette arrives but it’s too dark to photograph and swatch.
- In fact, you’ll end buying FAR more makeup than you normally would on the basis that ‘it’s for the blog’. Everything is justified with this phrase.
- But it’s not just makeup. You’ll start justifying all your purchases as for the blog…
- You’ll start to hate the seasons changing. The sunshine in summer, the crispness of autumn and the darker nights in winter will play havoc on the lighting for your blog pictures. And sometimes you’re just too lazy to get the softbox lights and ring light out.
- And when the light is just perfect, you’ll realise that you’ve forgotten to charge your camera battery. This happens all the time!
- At least one day a week (and some weeknights) will become ‘blog time’. You’ll photograph, type and schedule social media posts on mass during these times.
- And when you’re not actually blogging, you’ll be spending your free time thinking about blogging
- As soon as you’ve decided on a name and purchased your URL you’ll want to change it within six months.
- If you do want to change your blog or URL you’ll realise the hassle involved and probably decide it’s not worth it
- You will be referred to by your blog name rather than your real name. I can’t tell you how many emails I’ve read that start with ‘Hi Merry’
But you know what, I wouldn’t change it for the world. Working on this blog means I get develop lifelong friendships, work with some amazing brands and discover lots of great new ones as well. Like these beautiful flowers from Freddie’s Flowers. I have to say these are one of the prettiest bunches ever to arrive on my doorstep. You’ve probably pretty familiar with a beauty subscription service. Well, this is a flower subscription service. You sign up, they pick the flowers and deliver them to your door each week with tips on how to arrange them. And what’s more, they’re given me an exclusive discount code MERRYFF to share with you all which allows you to get 50% off your first two boxes when you sign up this month!