With the Queen turning 90 I’ve been feeling pretty patriotic lately. I love being British. I love our quirkiness, our traditions, our love of the Royal Family and our growing diversity. So let me share with you all 8 reasons why it’s great to be British and what some of my favourite British traditions are.
- We’ve given the world some of the best musical talent including Oasis, Blur, David Bowie, The Beatles and Adele are some of the great talent that has entertained the world
- One of our own also gave the world the World Wide Web… for free! It doesn’t more generous than that. Thanks Sir Tim Berners Lee
- A cup of tea and a biscuit will solve anything. Got a problem? Just put the kettle on and find a solution while sipping your favourite brew and nibbling on a chocolate hob nob
- We’ve made some of the best comedy shows around including The Office, Alan Partridge, Peep Show, The Thick of It and IT Crowd
- Although we may not be any good at them we gave the world football, rugby, cricket, snooker, boxing, bungee jumping and ping pong, to name but a few
- We have a free healthcare service!
- We’ve also given the world some of the best pieces of literature ever written, from classic Shakespeare to thrilling George Orwell.
- We may not have given the world the best food but I love roast dinners, proper fish and chips and a full English breakfast
- We’re a diverse bunch, driving German cars, eating foreign food, drinking French Wine but that’s OK. We’re still British
- Our music festivals are famous the world over – even if that’s mainly down to the weather and mud
- Speaking of weather we all have an obsession with the weather. Normally it’s too hot, too cold or too wet for our liking
- We have a Royal Family and a Queen that isn’t afraid to get dressed up and jump out of a helicopter with James Bond himself. Enough said really.
Why are you proud to be British?
Thank you to Deramores for sending through this proud to be British hamper.